Measuring Human Development as a direct outcome of Economic Development is an old philosophy and it is no more an acceptable model.
In a Sustainable Economic Model, Human Development must be the driver of Economic Development as the basic indices for Human Development forms the foundation for an Innovative and Inclusive Society
Consequently, looking at element of the Goal 8 of the SDGS for example suggest to me that if we can mobilize and deploy the unique qualities of the youth to develop innovative solutions: goods and services towards achieving these targets, we would have “realign the odds” and turn these well researched and serious activities into Job Description and start up pitches #Pitch4Change.
Jobs are necessary for development as was stated in 2013 World Development Report by the World Bank, each of the targets of Goals 8 now becomes Task & Target; Job opportunities and pressing need for innovation.
It is necessary therefore for you to choose which if the target resonates with you and you want to pursue it’s achievement:
Goal 8 targets :
- Sustain per capita economic growth in accordance with national circumstances and, in particular, at least 7 per cent gross domestic product growth per annum in the least developed countries
- Achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, technological upgrading and innovation, including through a focus on high-value added and labour-intensive sectors
- Promote development-oriented policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation, and encourage the formalization and growth of micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises, including through access to financial services
- Improve progressively, through 2030, global resource efficiency in consumption and production and endeavour to decouple economic growth from environmental degradation, in accordance with the 10-year framework of programmes on sustainable consumption and production, with developed countries taking the lead
- By 2030, achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men, including for young people and persons with disabilities, and equal pay for work of equal value
- By 2020, substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training
- Take immediate and effective measures to eradicate forced labour, end modern slavery and human trafficking and secure the prohibition and elimination of the worst forms of child labour, including recruitment and use of child soldiers, and by 2025 end child labour in all its forms
- Protect labour rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers, including migrant workers, in particular women migrants, and those in precarious employment
- By 2030, devise and implement policies to promote sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products
- Strengthen the capacity of domestic financial institutions to encourage and expand access to banking, insurance and financial services for all
- Increase Aid for Trade support for developing countries, in particular least developed countries, including through the Enhanced Integrated Framework for Trade-Related Technical Assistance to Least Developed Countries
- By 2020, develop and operationalize a global strategy for youth employment and implement the Global Jobs Pact of the International Labour Organization (Youthnomics!)
The above targets should inspire Discerning Youth to embrace one or two of the above and build a solution to actualize them in your community and nation as a whole.
We cannot talk about UNEMPLOYMENT until we implement and achieve all the SDGS
The SDG’S are our Personal, Professional and social Goals hence we must resist efforts to make it an after thought, or something good we like to do. The success of the Nigerian Economic Recovery & Growth Plan will be refused by the stated outcomes of the SDG’S.
So, what career are you pursuing now? Remember that a Career is nothing BUT a Progressive Path of a Problem Solving Endeavor.
Implementing the SDG’S will create massive jobs but it will keep you invoice.